April 15, 2011

Dealing With Difficult People By Using Conflict Management Strategies

Dealing with difficult people has always been a very complicated tactic to a lot of people, including myself. While the title may have grabbed your interest, understand that I am male, so I write just like a man. Aside from that, it's my own story. My political correctness stops with the title so consider yourself cautioned.

I was so excited I could hardly stand it. After spending the last 8 years on the street selling foods door to door, I really could finally see an exit. This was the answer, the ticket to our freedom and the answer to our dreams. I went to the free workshops about dealing with difficult people, met some great folks, signed up and could hardly wait to begin. My greatest fear, nevertheless, was telling my wife precisely how much I'd invested in our future. See, we'd just refinanced our home to settle some other bills.

Needless to say, it was totally unpleasant - she broke down crying. They weren't tears of joy. I recognized she would understand eventually. "Hear, just tune in to this CD, it explains everything." Listening to the CD's wasn't on her mind for that first couple of weeks. I knew that I had my work cut out for me so I got busy. Towards the end of the initial 3 months I had recovered all of our original investment. She'd witnessed the wheels in motion but even now wasn't sure. I'd quit my job and was carrying out the business full-time. I had frequently and relentlessly explained to her that if she would quit her job and work with me full time, that we could easily multiply our profits. That dog did not hunt. She witnessed the revenue possibilities but still needed persuading that this was a real business. Dealing with difficult people, especially my wife, had now started to become something of a challenge to me.

It was time to go on to plan "B". I started rigging booby traps. I would tactically substitute her reading materials with my positive information. My own CD's would be inside her car with no others accessible. After a few months my perseverance had reaped rewards. She had agreed to come together with me to one of my gatherings. That was the answer, finally, she saw the light. All my words and schemes could just move so far, but once I placed her among others that were profitable in the industry, everything began to take a hold. If my account is all very familiar to you, dealing with difficult people is about letting your own decisive actions communicate louder than your words. By watching you grow, they will also do the same. The bank checks don't lie so allow them to do your talking. Get them involved at their own speed and near other people in the industry who are more successful than you.

Dealing with difficult people, and in this case my wife, has become a blessing. Currently, we're working together, a little too close at times. She continually tells me that I've got an annoying habit of "hovering" around her. I prefer to call it "beneficial instruction". Our experiences in entrepreneurship are fresh to the two of us - at times surprising, sometimes exhilarating, but never boring. So all of you disgruntled partners out there take heart. Dealing with difficult people is not at all that hard and know that your loved ones will come around eventually when they understand that your dedication to develop is for their benefit as well. Above all, it will be your behavior, not your lip service, that pulls them in. Remember, once you change your world, it may take a little persuading to make your loved ones a part of it.

Article Source: Rick_Stanford

No comments:

Post a Comment